WE DEMAND A BUDGET THAT INVESTS IN THE PEOPLE AND DIVESTS FROM THE STATUS QUO
In June 2017, while the conservative caucus (Reid/McElhaney/Campbell-Washington/Guillen) tried to ride roughshod over the people and pass their "status quo" budget giving money to the hills, developers and OPD - the people successfully interrupted the meeting and demanded a delay on the vote and that the only budget that gets passed is the people's budget:
- More money for youth jobs
- Less money for cops
- More money for arts & artists
- More money for the unhoused
- More money for housing protections
District info here: http://mapgis.oaklandnet.com/councildistricts/
If you can't physically make it out to a council meeting, you can also tune in online or via the TV channels listed at http://www2.oaklandnet.com/government/o/CityClerk/s/KTOP/index.htm
Join the #DefundOPD social media campaign.
Our pictures have traveled across our social networks as the hashtag picks up steam. We encourage all of you to get involved! All it takes is a smartphone and five minutes:
1) Make a sign saying what you think Oakland City Council should prioritize instead of more money for police. (to print a PDF version click here)
2) Take a picture with your sign and post it to your social media accounts (facebook, twitter, instagram)
3) Include the hashtags #DefundOPD and #oakmtg and a link to these instructions: www.defundopd.org/memo
4) Tag at least one Oakland Councilmember (see below)
5) Tag some friends to ask them to take their own picture and help spread this campaign!